beginnings, Pumpkin Masters® has helped
families around the
world celebrate the
Halloween tradition of pumpkin
carving and decorating. Along the way, their team has picked up a
few tricks of their own. Here are a few of those tricks &
Choosing a Pumpkin to Carve
Selecting the perfect pumpkin can be a tough task considering
the different shapes, sizes, and color. Each pumpkin has unique
characteristics and, for many people, a personality all to itself.
While personality is important, a pumpkin's carving features is
another factor to consider.Here are a few helpful hints for picking
the right pumpkin to carve:
- Select an unbruised pumpkin about the size and shape of your
- Choose one that is smooth and evenly colored so your design
- Make sure the pumpkin has a flat bottom so it sits
- Watch out for pumpkins with mold around the stem. This may
indicate potential rot.
- Do not carry a pumpkin by its stem to prevent it from
- For children, try to select a lighter-colored, softer pumpkin.
These don't last as long, but they are easier to carve.
Pumpkin Carving Tips
The Pumpkin Masters makes it faster and easier to carve your
pumpkin masterpiece. Here are some proven tips to help you carve
that perfect Halloween jack-o'-lantern:
Draw and Cut Bottom of
Pumpkin: Draw a circle on the
bottom your pumpkin. Very carefully, cut along lines with the
carving saw. Angle the blade towards the center of the pumpkin to
create a ledge that supports the cut piece and remove.
Clean and Scrape: Clean out
the seeds and strings with the Pumpkin Masters Scraper
Scoop™. Scrape inner pulp away from the area you plan to carve
until the pumpkin wall is approximately 1 inch thick.
Pattern: Trim the pattern,
leaving a ½ inch border around the design. Tape the pattern to your
pumpkin. Make the pattern fit smoothly with small folds at black
slash lines. Tape folds in place.
Pattern: For long lines, roll the
Super Poker™ along design lines from end to end. Use the longer,
middle tip to poke along tight corners. When all the lines are
transferred, remove the pattern.
Sawing your Pumpkin: Use the
Detail Saw. Hold pumpkin in your lap. Hold the saw like a pencil
and saw steadily with a continuous up-and-down motion. Saw at a 90°
angle to the pumpkin. Use gentle pressure. These saws are breakable
if used incorrectly.
There are several effective ways to preserve your
jack-o'-lantern. If you can carve 2-3 days before Halloween, we
recommend the following preservation techniques:
- Prevent your pumpkin from drying out by placing petroleum jelly
on the cut edges of your carving.
- Spray your pumpkin with water, cover with plastic wrap, then
store it in the refrigerator when it's not on display. This helps
prevent premature decomposition.
- Soak or spray the pumpkin with water mixed with a little bit of
bleach. This will help ward off mold and kill insects.
- If your pumpkin is showing signs of shriveling, soak it in
water for several hours. The more shriveled the pumpkin, the longer
it needs to soak. When the pumpkin is removed from the water, dry
the inside with a towel as much as possible to impede mold growth.
Dried-out pumpkins and melons can be revived almost completely with
Pumpkin Masters offers a number of techniques to effectively
illuminate your pumpkin carving. Here are a few tips for lighting
up your jack-o'-lantern this Halloween:
- When using a candle, cut a hole on the upper, back part of the
pumpkin. The hole will work like a chimney by allowing the candle's
heat to escape.
- If you create an opening from the bottom of the pumpkin, attach
the light source to the bottom lid and place the pumpkin over it.
Try drilling a hole to secure the candle. This provides a little
more stability, safety and balances the flickering effect.
- A flashing light is ideal for spooky pumpkin carvings. The
lighting effect delivered by 3 flashing bulbs brings the pumpkin to
- Create the smell of Halloween spice. Just sprinkle a
little cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin spice on the bottom of the
pumpkin lid. Once the pumpkin is lit, it will create a wonderful
- Cast shadows from the back of your pumpkin by carving a unique
pattern. It's a unique effect that will get the neighbors
For more help in how to carve the perfect
jack-o'-lanterns, watch this video, courtesy of Pumpkin
Ready to create your own jack-o'-lantern? Stop by Fiesta Mart and pick up your Pumpkin
Masters Carving Tool Kit plus the perfect pumpkin in our Produce